Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Life Cycle of the Butterfly

On Tuesday we learned all about butterflies. One of my favorite things are butterflies! I just love this time of year, when flowers are in bloom, the weather is getting warmer, and butterflies are out. They are just such pretty insects, so we had a fun day learning all about the life cycle of a butterfly. We read a book about a classroom of kids who watch butterflies grow from little eggs on leaves to caterpillars to butterflies.
I asked the kids what they already knew about butterflies. They responded that butterflies are colorful, they receive nectar from flowers, they grow from caterpillars, they fly, they are like moths, etc. As I read the story, we acted out the various parts. It was funny watching them move and eat like they were caterpillars and then fly like they were butterflies. Annie has these cool stacking blocks which have the life cycle of the butterfly on one side, so the kids then helped me stack them high in sequential order.
Next it was craft time! Here are some pictures of our crafts that we made. First, here they are decorating their leaves which have the egg that the caterpillars will hatch from.

Then the kids painted their caterpillars, using egg cartons and pipe cleaners. They looked pretty cute.



Next, the kids each made their own chrysalis, or cocoon where the caterpillars crawl into and go through a metamorphosis before becoming a beautiful butterfly. (We wrapped string around an old tube). I was impressed that Calvin knew the term "molting" for when caterpillars shed their old skin many times in their lives.


Lastly, the kids colored their own butterflies and glued them to craft sticks. Then they ran around and "flew" their butterflies. I am always impressed with how artistic and detailed Ava gets.

Our snack was juice, Pirate's Booty, granola bars, and craisins. It was a good day. I think it would be really neat to get a butterfly kit as a group, so the kids can raise and then release their very own butterflies. Something to think about!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE butterflies too! The crafts you had the kids do were DARLING! And I am a HUGE fan of the life cycle of the butterfly. I LOVE helping kids learn about it.
    I really like the idea of raising their own Butterfly. I have done it (not with my kids -but back when I was an awesome nanny and did cool things like that!) So it would be great to do it with my own kids!!!

    thanks Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so cute. My heart melted when I saw Gavyn's caterpillar. I have to get a bigger box for all of the cute cute things that he is making in joy school.

    ReplyDelete